EMMY AWARD WINNING CINEMATOGRAPHER, HALL OF FAME INDUCTION HEADLINE SECOND ANNUAL HELLROARING SKI HERITAGE DAYS
March 11, 2015, Whitefish, Montana. The Flathead Ski Heritage Center and The Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation announced today that Emmy Award winning cinematographer and US Ski Hall of Fame member Joe Jay Jalbert will be the Guest of Honor at the Second Annual HellRoaring Ski Heritage Days on March 13 – 14 at Whitefish Mountain Resort.
HellRoaring Ski Heritage Days was conceived as a celebration of the Flathead Valley’s rich and colorful skiing history, and as a fund raising event for the new Ski Heritage Center Museum of Skiing and the Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation. “Last Year’s inaugural event was a huge success, so we’re doing it again!” said Tim Hinderman, Executive Director of the Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation. “It’s a great opportunity for people to actively partake in the festivities by dressing up in old ski outfits and bringing along old ski equipment, and to raise money for the new Ski Museum and the Ski Foundation at the same time.”
Jalbert will preside over the Hall of Fame induction Ceremony to be held on March 13th at the Hellroaring Saloon and Eatery located in the iconic “Chalet” at Whitefish Mountain Resort. This second class of inductees includes Big Mountain co-founder George Prentice, Whitefish ski pioneer and long-time Big Mountain Ski School Director Karl Hinderman, Early-day ski racer, ski coach and FVSEF co-founder Gary Tallman and former Big Mountain Ski Patrol Chief and Hill Manager Dale Evenson.
HellRoaring Ski Heritage Days activities include:
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Reception. Friday March 13 at 6:00 PM, Hellroaring Saloon and Eatery, Whitefish Mountain Resort. There will be a light buffet and no host bar. Tickets are is $25 per person and can be purchased in advance at Glacier Bank in Downtown Whitefish and Kalispell.
- The Ski-A-Thon Saturday March 14 is for anybody who wants to actively support the Ski Heritage Center Museum of Skiing and the Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation. Skiers, on new or vintage equipment can help raise funds by soliciting pledges for Vertical Feet skied. For individuals or teams – on new or vintage equipment. Pledge forms and rules can be downloaded at www.fvsef.org. Registration 8:00 – 10:00 AM at Ed & Mully’s.
- The Retro-Ski Race Saturday March 14 provides a venue for all those ex-racers, and maybe some non-racers, to dust off their old race skis and give them one more ride on a race course. Also available for people on “non-vintage” equipment who just want to make a run or two on an old-time slalom course. The Retro Race entry fee is a $25 donation for as many runs as you want. Registration 8:00 – 10:00 AM at Ed & Mully’s. Race begins at 11:00 AM.
- Heritage BBQ – Race Finish Area – Heritage T-Bar 12:00AM – 1:30PM
- Classic Ski Movies All day Saturday at Hellroaring Saloon & Eatery
- Best Vintage Outfit Contest is an opportunity to pull out that old ski outfit and those old skis and boots for a fun day of skiing and reminiscing. Judging at 3:30 PM
- Toni Matt Promenade will be an opportunity for all the participants to gather and collectively showcase vintage outfits and equipment in a single-file “ski parade” down the Toni Matt run from top to bottom.
- Tall Tales Time Cocktail Hour & Best Vintage Outfit Awards
- (All times subject to change. Check www.fvsef.org for updates)
“I know there are lots of old ski outfits in closets and old equipment in basements and garages…” said Hinderman, “And they don’t need to be ancient artifacts for this event, anything from the pre “shaped” ski era will be considered ‘Vintage’.”
Non-skiers and “Former Skiers” can enjoy the celebration as well. All are invited to watch the Retro Race, Toni Matt Promenade, enjoy the old-time ski movies and of course attend the Hall of Fame Ceremony and Reception on Friday evening.
“We’re really excited about HellRoaring Ski Heritage Days” commented Bill Kahle, Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation President. “The Ski-A-Thon is a great opportunity for people to take a hands-on role in contributing to the Ski Heritage Center and the Ski Foundation.”
As always, volunteers are needed and appreciated!
The Ski Heritage Center Museum of Skiing is being developed by the Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation on the historic site of the Saddle Club facility adjacent to the Stumptown Ice Den ice arena. Plans are currently being developed to collect artifacts, design exhibits, interview surviving ski pioneers and ultimately expand the existing facility as needed to accommodate future growth. Once completed, the Ski Heritage Center will include a museum and hall of fame, and serve as a gathering place for locals and visitors to learn about the fascinating history of skiing in the region.
Sponsors for the event are Don K Subaru, Fun Beverage, Glacier Bank and American Bank. All proceeds from HellRoaring Ski Heritage Days will benefit the Ski Heritage Center Museum of Skiing and Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation. DONATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED THROUGHOUT THE EVENT.
Times listed above subject to change. Check www.fvsef.org for updates.
For more information or to volunteer contact Tim Hinderman at 406-885-2730, or visit www.fvsef.org.