Ages 12 - 13, Born 2005-2006
Coach: Jamin Patten
Modeled on the US Ski & Snowboard Alpine Training System, Phase 4
Cost $2,300 if registered and paid 75% on or before 9/30/18. ($2,530 after 9/30/18)
The U14 Program is designed to provide a transition from the Development Programs into the more disciplined world of Alpine Competition Programs. This includes the transition from Youth Ski League races to US Ski & Snowboard scored races, while presenting opportunities in both. Still focused on maintaining a fun environment, the program emphasizes ski racing tactics while continuing to develop basic technical skills. Competition opportunities include Northern Division YSL events (U8-U14), Scored USSA U14 & Older events and occasional travel to events in neighboring USSA Divisions and/or Canada. Training time is divided between all-mountain skiing, drills, and gate training. Directed free-skiing will continue to be a focus for the development of fundamental skiing skills and technical competence. In gate training, athletes will develop the technical and tactical skills for Slalom and Giant Slalom, and begin to focus on Super G skills as well.
On-snow Training begins with November camp(s) at Panorama (fee not included), then resumes December 8 through March 31 at Whitefish Mountain Resort with sessions conducted on Saturdays, Sundays and up to three weekday afternoons/evenings per week plus a 5-day Holiday Camp in December. Weekend and Holiday training hours are 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Weekday training hours are TBD based on school schedules.
Dryland training and conditioning includes 1-2 days per week during summer break, then 2 days per week beginning in early October. Participation in the dryland is strongly encouraged, and Athletes playing fall sports are excused when practices or games conflict with training. Also included are two physical assessment dates in the spring and late summer.
As with all FVSEF Alpine Competition Programs, the season-long curriculum for the U14 Team includes:
- Off-Season and Pre-Season dryland training/conditioning: 1 – 2 days per week in July & August, up to 4 days per week after school resumes
- Training blocks include specific skill development with FVSEF staff members including former US Ski Team Olympians Hilary Lindh (Speed Training and Free Skiing Blocks) and Julie Parisien (Tech Fundamentals Training Block)
- Opportunity for one-on-one sessions with FVSEF coaching staff to work on specific technical and/or tactical objectives.
- Opportunity to participate in summer Mt. Hood and fall Panorama training camps (Camp fees extra)
- Individual, one-on-one season-long goal setting sessions with each athlete and his/her family to map out a "competition plan" that gives the athlete the best chance of reaching his/her goals for the season and beyond.
- Periodic in-season reviews/updates.
- Equipment maintenance seminar for parents and athletes
- Safety sessions covering avalanche awareness, tree well safety, the Skiers’ Responsibility Code and Personal Best Practices for severe weather skiing & training.
- US Ski & Snowboard Physical Assessment testing two times per year
- Regular on-snow video sessions.
- Mental preparation block structured around Dr. Jim Taylor’s Prime Performance System “Develop the Mind of a Champion”. (On-line course fees not included.)