skip navigation

Ski Museum

Toni Matt

The Ski Heritage Center Museum of Skiing is operated by the Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation in the historic Saddle Club cabin adjacent to Stumptown Ice Den in Mountain Trails Park.

The museum features a photographic exhibit depicting the early history of skiing in the Flathead Valley before and after the opening on the Big Mountain Ski Resort in 1947 , a Hall of Fame honoring the ski pioneers and local skiing legends, a life-size cutaway reproduction of the interior the Hellroaring Ski Cabin circa 1935 and a Video library featuring rare footage of skiing in the Valley and around Montana in the 1930's, 40's and 50's.

Work is currently underway to add a 10th Mountain Division “Ski Troops” exhibit featuring the Flathead Valley men who served in this winter warfare unit in WWII, and to record firsthand accounts of surviving early-day skiers and employees of the Big Mountain Resort. 

Summer operating hours are noon to 5:00 PM, Wednesday - Saturday beginning June 24, and by appointment for group outings.

The Ski Heritage Center is located at 705 Wisconsin Avenue, right in front of the Stumptown Ice Den.

For more information, contact Tim Hinderman at (406)885-2730 or


 Click HERE for information on membership levels and benefits, and to access the Registration Page


Announcements and Upcoming Events

SKI HERITAGE CENTER MEMBERSHIPS NOW AVAILABLE. Click HERE for information on membership levels and benefits.

The museum is tomporarily closed for construction of the new 10th Mountain Division exhibit. We plan to re-open on April 1, 2022

Check out our Facebook page HERE