The Ski Heritage Center Museum of Skiing has been developed by the Flathead Valley Ski Education Foundation in the historic Saddle Club cabin adjacent to the Stumptown Ice Den in Mountain Trails Park. After two years of renovations and remodeling, the facility opened in July featuring a photographic exhibit depicting the history of skiing in the area before and after the opening on the Big Mountain Ski Resort in 1947, the Hall of Fame featuring 19 inductees to date and a mock-up of the original Hellroaring Ski Club cabin dating back to 1935.
The Center closed after Labor Day Weekend in order to accommodate additional work in the kitchen and office areas, as well as work on new and existing exhibits.
We plan to re-open for the Ski Season in early December. New exhibits in the works include a tribute to the famed 10th Mountain Division “Ski Troops” of World War II, and a tribute to 5 Olympians who once called, or currently call Big Mountain their home base.